Education in Coimbatore

In 1867, the first group of students appeared for the SSLC Examinations from Coimbatore. The earliest educational institutions established in the city are C.S.I. Boys High School (1831), St. Michael's Higher Secondary School (1860), Stanes Anglo Indian Higher School (1862), St. Francis Anglo Indian Girls High School (1880), Sarvajana High School (1910) and Suburban Higher Secondary School (1917). Various types of schools are loacted in Coimbatore they are, Government and Corporation schools, Schools funded by the Government but run by private trusts (Aided schools) and Schools funded and administered by private trusts. They are classified as Tamil Nadu Anglo Indian School Board, Tamil Nadu State Board, Matriculation and CBSE schools according to the syllabus taught in them. The Coimbatore Education District and Pollachi Education District is the two units of administration for school education for the city area and rural areas.Also Central Government Kendriya Vidhyala has two schools located one at Sowripalayam and other at Sulur. Many Kinder Garden, Nursery and Residential schools are also situated in Coimbatore.

 

        
Coimbatore is also home for state owned universities like Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (est. 1971), Bharathiar University (1982), Anna University Coimbatore (2007) and private universities like Karunya University (1986), Avinashilingam University (1987), Amrita University (2003) and Karpagam University (2005). The agricultural school established in 1868 was converted into a full fledged agricultural university (Tamil Nadu Agricultural University) in 1971.The first college opened in Coimbatore was the Government Arts College (1875-76). The Forest College and Research Institute was opened in 1916. The first engineering college in the city was started by G.D. Naidu as the Hope College in 1945. Later it became the Government College of Technology (GCT), Coimbatore.

The Air Force Administrative College was established in 1949 to train Indian Air Force personnel.Coimbatore Medical College was opened in 1966 and the Government law college was started functioning from 1978. The two famous private Engineering Colleges of PSG College of Technology and Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT) were started in the 1950s.

Several private engineering and arts & science colleges were started during the education boom in the 1990s. Now Coimbatore district has 54 engineering colleges, 2 medical colleges, 18 polytechnics and more than 70 Arts and Science Colleges.


   

The site is designed and developed by National Informatics Centre, Coimbatore.
The content is owned and maintained by the District Administration, Coimbatore. Email: collrcbe[at]nic[dot]in
Designed,developed and hosted by National Informatics Centre, Coimbatore.
Best Viewed in IE 1024 x 768 Pixels
- Disclaimer -

Every effort and care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information furnished in this website. The Collectorate, Coimbatore or NIC does not accept any responsibility or liability for any damage or loss caused to any person as a result of any action taken on the basis of this information. However, the Collectorate, Coimbatore shall be obliged if errors or omissions are brought to notice for carrying out corrections.